Decorative ring Decorative ring Decorative ring

About Primary Liver Cancer

Hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) accounts for 90% of primary liver cancers with other cancers such as intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma, fibrolamellar HCC, mixed HCC and epithelioid hemangiothelioma accounting for the remaining 10% of primary liver cancers. 

HCC more commonly affects men and usually peaks in people 65 to 70 years old. The biggest risk factors for HCC are chronic infection with Hepatitis B virus or Hepatitis C virus. Also contributing to HCC are alcohol abuse, metabolic syndrome, and a condition known as hemochromatosis.

We Treat All Stages and Types of Liver Cancer

  • Hepatocellular Carcinoma (most common)
  • Intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma
  • Fibrolamellar Hepatocellular Carcinoma
  • Mixed Hepatocellular Carcinoma
  • Epithelioid Hemangiothelioma

What We Do

  • Target the tumor using heat therapy
  • Leave fragile healthy tissues including heart, lungs, lymph nodes and any other affected organ untouched
  • Improve the effectiveness of radiation and/or systemic therapy

Treatment For Liver Cancer

Surgical resection is the first-line treatment option for non-cirrhotic patients when detected in its early-stage, and with a single tumor. In cirrhotic patients, radiofrequency ablation or resection would be appropriate if tumors are less than 2 cm in diameter. Liver transplantation may also be suitable for certain patients. The addition of hyperthermia has been shown in multiple studies to be effective when used with a variety of treatments including radiation therapy, chemoembolization, immune therapies, and traditional chemotherapy.

Banner media

How Hyperthermia Therapy Can Help

Research demonstrates that hyperthermia when combined with radiation therapy, increases the likelihood of a complete response in liver cancers by nearly 50%. The application of hyperthermia to a tumor can have numerous positive effects on cancer cells.

Heat disrupts cell membranes and increases blood flow to the tumor, making the tumor more sensitive and vulnerable both to your body’s natural immune defenses and to other cancer therapies.

Hyperthermia therapy benefits include:

  • Increases blood flow to tumors creating a high-oxygen environment, which makes radiation therapy work better
  • Allows for chemotherapy to penetrate deep into the center of the tumor where it otherwise has difficulty reaching
  • Can stimulate an immune response reaction within the tumor improving your body’s ability to fight cancer

Hyperthermia Increases the Likelihood of a Complete Response

Hyperthermia can be added at any time to one's liver cancer treatment in Los Angeles. Optimally, hyperthermia treatment is initiated as soon as the patient begins receiving radiation therapy or chemotherapy. Hyperthermia often has no or minimal side effects and has no known adverse effects on normal tissue. Adding hyperthermia maximizes the effectiveness of cancer treatment without harming sensitive surrounding organs.

Banner media
Contact us media
Accessibility: If you are vision-impaired or have some other impairment covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act or a similar law, and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to using this website, please contact our Accessibility Manager at 888-786-0997.